Issue to be Explored:
(1) Conveying importance and value of:
(a) Process: advancing an idea to fruition
(b) Rigor: investing commitment, effort, focus, reflection
(c) Adaptability: establishing a point of view and a design approach
(d) Sustainability: of thought, product, environment and business
(2) Making something more from something else
Objective to be Addressed:
This IPRO project experience will:
(1) Embody all of the IPRO learning principles
(2) Explore the part-to-the-whole relationship in the process of design, making, branding
(3) Require the design and fabrication of a functioning, well-crafted, thoughtful product/device that has new, meaningful value
(4) Appreciate the responsibility of process, rigor, adaptability, sustainability
(5) Be relevant for students from all IIT colleges
Approach to be Followed:
(1) Start with something that has had a previous useful life (that includes (a) through (d)):
(a) Minimum of one previously discarded material: wood, plastic, metal, paper, etc.
(b) Minimum of one previously discarded mechanical device/product: motor, operable hardware, prosthetic, etc.
(c) Minimum of one previously discarded digital/electronic device/product: phone, radio, beacon / sensor, etc.
(d) No more than 15 percent of total new product/device weight to be of new (not discarded) materials/devices (hardware, cladding, damage replacement, etc.)
(2) End with something more that has a new and useful future life (that represents (a)):
(a) A thoughtful, functional and meaningful product/device having value (as defined by the team)